2. Photographs of the recognition dinner and that day's events. Some other personal photographs might be included in this collection.
3. "Certificate of Commendation" from the Indiana Academy of family Physicians.
4. "Songs of Manchester" with Otho Winger's signature.
5. Newspaper clippings. Also included is a clipping showing "Doc" on the Bluffton football team in 1929.
6. Letters to Doc regarding appreciation for his service.
7. "Faculty Mother's Goose," a funny and witty "periodical."
8. "A Guide for Campus Social Events, 1963 - 64," published by the Social Committee.
Date of Accession
06 December 2007
Bio History Note
"Tributes to 'Doc'" was compiled on Dr. Niswander's retirement from the College. Dr. Niswander was hired by Manchester College in 1950 as the replacement for Dr. Kintner. He spent 30 years as an instructor, retiring in May of 1981. For 20 of the 30 years, Dr. Niswander served as chairman of the biology department. Special recognition was given to him on November 14, 1980. President Helman gave opening remarks at an all-day Biology Symposium at Manchester, dedicating the day to Dr. Niswander. Featured speakers at the Biology Symposium were former pupils of "Doc's:" Dr. Jane Henney, a cancer researcher, Dr. Gene Likens, an authority on acid rain, Dr. Dale Oxender, a DNA researcher, Dr. Larry Yoder, a land revitalization expert, and Dr. Robert Gorden, an aquatic biologist. Manchester College Professor, Dr. William Eberly, also was featured in the program and presided over an evening program and recognition dinner. Kevin Wolfe was the featured speaker at this event. His topic was, "The Teaching Life of Emerson Niswander."
Description prepared 06 December 2007 by Jeanine M. Wine.