Church of the Brethren: South Central Indiana Filing Cabinets
Timbercrest Retirement Community, Timbercrest: Additional Information, Archives and Brethren Historical Collection, Funderburg Library, Manchester College, North Manchester, Indiana.
Researchers are responsible for determining copyright status of archived materials where this is relevant to their intended use of the materials.
Scope and Content
For additional material also see files for "Mexico Church of the Brethren."
Date of Accession
Bio History Note
Mexico Welfare Home, Mexico, Indiana and Timbercrest Retirement Community, North Manchester, Indiana:
In 1889, Levi P. Miller donated land and a building near Mexico, IN for the purpose of establishing a home for the aged. The district agreed to assume direction. Seventeen residents were admitted during the first year. A parallel concern for orphans was soon raised and was cared for by Miller again, who built a second building at his own expense in 1892 for use as an orphange. By 1917 over 1,500 children had been admitted and in 1936 the name was changed to the Mexico Welfare Home. The orphanage was discontinued in 1943 and the home for the aged was remodeled and enlarged. By 1951 both the northern and southern districts of Indiana had joined in sponsoring the institution. The Mexico home was closed in 1968 and remaining residents were transferred to the newly built retirement home in North Manchester that was called Timbercrest. TImbercrest was considered a continuation of the Mexico Welfare Home.