|Bio History Note|
Mt. Morris College, Mt. Morris, Illinois, was founded by the Methodists as Rock River Seminary in 1839. In 1879 it was purchased by the Church of the Brethren and evolved into Mt. Morris College. A fire destroyed Old Sandstone, one of the college's main buildings, on January 15, 1912. After raising money to rebuild, the college began to suffer enrollment and financial problems. By 1931 these problems seemed to be improving, but a catastrophic fire on April 12, 1931, destroyed two buildings and heavily damaged two more. The college was unable to survive, and on May 5, 1932, the decision was made to merge with Manchester College.