Click to visit Manchester University's homepage.

Manchester University Archives and Brethren Historical CollectionArchives

 

Full listing > Accession MU2013/26
Accession #MU2013/26
TopicMount Morris College: Anniversary Booklet
TitleHistory of Mt. Morris College.
LocationMount Morris College metal cabinet in folder marked with accession number
CitationHistory of Mt. Morris College., MU2013/26, Archives and Brethren Historical Collection, Funderburg Library, Manchester University, North Manchester, Indiana.
AccessResearchers are responsible for determining copyright status of archived materials where this is relevant to their intended use of the materials.
ProvenanceDorotha Williams
Scope and ContentBooklet titled, "100th Anniversary of the Founding of Mt. Morris College."
Date of Accession19 April 2013
Bio History Note

Mount Morris College was a Church of the Brethren school located in Mt. Morris, Illinois.  It merged with Manchester (1932) College following a devastating fire in 1931.  This booklet gives a brief, yet thorough, history of the institution.

Dorotha Williams is the daughter of Oscar Neher who taught at Mount Morris College and at Manchester College.

The following information is from the "Ranger," the Polo, Illinois "Tri-County Press."

Mt. Morris is celebrating the 175th anniversary this year (2014) of the founding of the Rock River Seminary, which later became Mt. Morris College. ... The Rock River Seminary was founded in Mt. Morris by Illinois Methodists on May 4, 1839.  It was the first institution of higher education in northern Illinois, including the Chicago area. Co-educational from the start, its graduates became clergymen, missionaries, educators, farmers, scientists, lawyers, congressmen, musicians, governors, judges, artists, generals, historians, businessmen, doctors, college presidents, and members of other trades and professions.  The Rock River Seminary closed in 1878 and was eventually purchased by the Church of the Brethren.  It was renamed Mt. Morris College and welcomed students again in 1879.  The college continued as a vibrant and successful institution of higher education.  Following a disastrous fire in 1931, the college closed and merged with Manchester College in North Manchester, Ind., in 1932.  "Ranger," the Polo, Illinois "Tri-County Press." Thursday, May 22, 2014, pg. 15 sent to the Archives by alumna, Marcia Dilling (MC Class of 1959).

Archivist NoteDescription prepared 19 April 2013 by Jeanine M. Wine.
© Manchester University Archives and Brethren Historical Collection
Manchester University | 604 E. College Ave. | North Manchester, Indiana 46962