1. Letter to Sabra written and signed by Dan West on Church of the Brethren General Brotherhood Board stationery.
2. Christmas letter from the West Family to Sabra and her family with a handwritten personal note on the verso by Dan West.
3. Exhibit A: One articleby Sabra (Baker) Staley (Unit 11, 1951) entitled "A Sign Along th e Road." This is a story about how Sabra came to join Brethren Volunteer Service and accepted an assignment in Castener, Puerto Rico.
4. Exhibit B: One color copy of Dan West's name and address in the family guestbook, circa 1952.
5. The story of the "henna-haired landlady."
Date of Accession
23 September 2010
Bio History Note
From Sabra's letter regarding this collection:
"...In the fall of 1952, I was back in college at the University of Maryland, living with my mother in College Park, Md., ten mildes of D.C. In mid-Dedcember I received a phone call from Dan who was attending a meeting in Washington. I can remember my mother in the background whispering 'Invite him to supper. Invite him to supper.' Which I did. And he accepted. He came out on the Gryhound bus; we had a simple supper; he stayed to join me and the young woman director of Christian Education frommy home church, in attending the University's choir presentation of Handel's "Messiah" on the campus. ('Exhibit B' is from my mother's guest book; she not only insisted on feeding everybody, but also collected their names)."
Description prepared by Jeanine M. Wine on 23 September 2010.