Are you a Manchester alumni book author? Send your information to the Alumni Office for inclusion on this special web page. (For faculty publications, click here.)
Alumni authors photos from Homecoming 2013
(Many of these books are available on Amazon.com as well as on the publishers' websites.)
Paula Sheller ’55 Adams, Forest Grove, Ore.
- this little space – poems
Amherst Writers & Artists Press
James Beard ’65, Salisbury, N.C.
Bret Billet ’84, Waverly, Iowa
- Cultural Relativism in the Face of the West: The Plight of Women and Female Children
- America's National Pastime: A Study of Race and Merit in Professional Baseball
- Modernization Theory and Economic Development: Discontent in the Developing World
- Direct Foreign Investment Behavior of Multinational Corporations in Developing Areas: Comparing the Development Assistance Committee
- Japanese, and American Corporations
Marv Bittinger ’63, Carmel, Ind.
- Basic Mathematics, Basic College Mathematics, Introductory and Intermediate Algebra, and scores of other textbooks and teacher guides on mathematics
- You Can Teach Hitting, about baseball, co-authored with Dusty Rhoades
- The Faith Equation, One Mathematician's Journey in Christianity
George Boudreau ’87, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Independence: A Guide to Historic Philadelphia
Donal Carbaugh ’77, Easthampton, Mass.
- Cultures in Conversation
- Situating Selves: The Communication of Social Identity in American Scenes
- Cultural Communication and Intercultural Contact
- Distinctive Qualities in Communication Research with Patrice M. Buzzanell
Sue Kellogg ’88 Cassel, Auburn, Ind.
- A Journey of Hope: A Spiritual Path Toward Hope and Joy in Caring for Your Child with Special Needs
Norm Coots ’89, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Stop Wasting Money, Your Common Sense Money Management Guide for Everyday Life, published with wife, Carol
Jeffrey Courtright ’79, Bloomington, Ind.
- Inspiring Cooperation and Celebrating Organizations: Genres, Message Design and Strategies in Public Relations, with Peter M. Smudde
- Power and Public Relations, with Peter M. Smudde
Linda Crill ’71, Reston, Va., with illustrator Kevin L. Miller ’71
- Blind Curves, One Woman’s Unusual Journey to Reinvent Herself and Answer: What Now?
Christine Deavel ’80x, Seattle, Wash.
- Woodnote, poetry, many set in North Manchester and northern Indiana
Bear Star Press
Stanley Deetz ’70, Boulder, Colorado
- Democracy in an Age of Corporate Colonization: Developments in Communication and the Politics of Everyday Life
- Leading Organizations through Transition: Communication and Cultural Change, co-written by Stanley Deetz, Sarah J. Tracy, and Jennifer Lyn Simpson
- Transforming Communication, Transforming Business: Building Responsive and Responsible Workplaces
Mary Alice Bagwell ’52 Dillman, Delaware, Ohio
- Gratitude: A Legacy of a Life, an autobiography
Modern Memoirs Inc.
Loren Finnell ’64, Larchmont, N.Y.
Dorotha Winger '48 Fry Mason, North Manchester, Ind.
- J.O.: Another Real One
- Mystery and Glory in John's Gospel
Kathleen Fry-Miller '75, North Manchester, Ind.
- Young Peacemakers Project Book
- Story Gifts for Children
- Peace Works: Young Peacemakers Project II (with Judith Myers-Walls '74, Lafayette, Ind., and Janet Domer-Shank)
Jean Gilbertson '69, Renton, Wash.
Peggy Faw ’64 Gish, Athens, Ohio
- Iraq: A Journey of Hope and Peace
- Walking Through Fire: Iraqis Struggle for Justiced and Renewal
Myrna Grove ’71, Bryan, Ohio
- Alexander Mack: A Man Who Rippled the Waters, a children's book for the 300th anniversary of the Church of the Brethren
- The Path to America, from Switzerland to Lancaster County
Myrna Grove Books
Brian Hartz ’00, Bloomington, IN
- Harley, C.I., crime fiction co-written with Tom Gratz
Mel Hawkins ’70, Fort Wayne, IN
- Radical Surgery: Reconstructing the American Healthcare System
- The Difference is You: Power Through Positive Leadership
- Light and Transient Causes
- Reinventing Education, Hope, and the American Dream: The Challenge for Twenty-First Century America
Edward Hollenberg ’48, Winamac,
- Family Power...Managing the Challenges: With Words I Never Learned In Any School
James Hollis ’62, Houstin, Texas
- Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life: How to Finally, Really Grow Up
- The Middle Passage: From Misery to Meaning in Midlife
- Under Saturn's Shadow: The Wounding and Healing of Men
- Tracking the Gods: The Place of Myth in Modern Life
- Swamplands of the Soul: New Life from Dismal Places
- The Eden Project: In Search of the Magical Other
- The Archetypal Imagination
- Creating a Life: Finding Your Individual Path
- On This Journey We Call Our Life
- Mythologems: Incarnations of the Invisible World
- Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life
- Why Good People Do Bad Things: Exploring our Darker Selves
- What Matters Most
- Hauntings: Dispelling the Ghosts Who Run Our Lives
Paul A. Hoover ’68, Mill Valley, California
- En el idioma y en la tierra (In Idiom and Earth), translated into Spanish by Maria Baranda, Mexico City: Conaculta, 2012
- La intencion y su materia (Intention and Its Thing), translated into Spanish by Maria Baranda, Caracas: Monte Avila Editores, 2012
- desolation : souvenir, Richmond, CA: Omnidawn Publishing, 2012
- Sonnet 56, Los Angeles, CA: Les Figues Press, 2009
- Corazón, translated into Spanish by María Baranda, Puebla, MX: LunArena Press, 2009
- Edge and Fold, Berkeley: Apogee Press, 2006
- Poems in Spanish, Richmond, CA: Omnidawn Publishing, 2005, nominated for the Bay Area Book Award
- Winter Mirror, Chicago: Flood Editions, 2002
- Rehearsal in Black, Cambridge, England: Salt Publications, 2001
- Totem and Shadow: New & Selected Poems, Jersey City: Talisman House, 1999
- Viridian, Athens, GA: The University of Georgia Press, 1997, winner of the Contemporary Poetry Series competition
- The Novel: A Poem, New York: New Directions, 1991
- Idea, Great Barrington, MA: The Figures, 1987
- Nervous Songs, Seattle: L'Epervier Press, 1986
- Somebody Talks a Lot, Chicago: The Yellow Press, 1983
- Letter to Einstein Beginning Dear Albert, Chicago: The Yellow Press, 1979
- Fables of Representation (Essays), Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2004
- Postmodern American Poetry (anthology), New York: W. W. Norton, 1994
- Saigon, Illinois (novel), New York: Vintage Contemporaries, 1988, a chapter of which appeared in The New Yorker
- Beyond the Court Gate: Selected Poems of Nguyen Trai, edited and translated with Nguyen Do, Denver: Counterpath Press, 2010
- Selected Poems of Friedrich Holderlin, edited and translated with Maxine Chernoff, Richmond, CA: Omnidawn Publishing, 2008
- Black Dog, Black Night: Contemporary Vietnamese Poetry, edited and translated with Nguyen Do, St. Paul: Milkweed Editions, 2008
Robert C. Johansen ’62, Granger, Ind.
- The National Interest and the Human Interest: An Analysis of U.S. Foreign Policy
- Toward a Dependable Peace: A Proposal for an Appropriate Security System
- Toward an Alternative Security System: Moving Beyond the Balance of Power in
the Search for World Security
Ruthann Knechel ’64 Johansen, Granger, Ind.
- The Narrative Secret of Flannery O'Conner: The Trickster as Interpreter
- Listening in the Silence, Seeing in the Dark: Reconstructing Life after Brain Injury
Janis Clark ’69 Johnston, Oak Park, Ill.
- It Takes A Child to Raise a Parent: Stories of Evolving Child and Parent Development
Norman Jones ’58x, Crystal Lake, Ill.
- Growing Up in Indiana: The Culture & Hoosier Hysteria Revisited
Curtis A. Keim ’67, Green Valley, Az.
- Mistaking Africa: Curiosities and Inventions of the American Mind
Penelope Myrtle Kelsey ’94, Boulder, Colo.
- Tribal Theory in Native American Literature: Dakota and Haudenosaunee Writing and Indigenous Worldviews
- Maurice Kenny: Celebrations of a Mohawk Writer
David W. Koons ’73, Macy, Ind.
Scott Kreiger ’88, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Four Sunny Saturdays, The Story of the Canterbury Lady Caviliers' 2008 State Championship
Joe Krom ’67, Argos, Ind.
- Heart of a Warrior: The True Saga of Sweet Breeze and William Wells
Eel River Traders
Ralph G. McFadden ’55, Elgin, Ill.
Carol L. Miller '66, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Tuffy and His Funny Farm Animal Friends
Donald E. Miller ’51x, Richmond, Ind.
- Seeking Peace, Stories from African Peacemakers
Edited by Donald E. Miller '51x, Scott Holland, Lon Fendall and Dean Johnson
Judith Myers-Walls '74, Lafayette, Ind.
- Peace Works: Young Peacemakers Project II (with Kathleen Fry-Miller '75, North Manchester, Ind.)
Michael Morris ’71, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Along the Way
CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Anne Ott ’78, Churubusco, Ind.
Terry Pettit ’68, Fort Collins, Colorado
- Talent and the Secret Life of Teams
- A Fresh Season - Insights Into Coaching, Leadership and Volleyball
Gladden Schrock ’58, South Bristol, Maine
- Letters from Alf, nominated for Pulitzer Prize in fiction
- Glutt, Tapps and Madam Popov, theatrical productions
Jan West ’58 Schrock, Westbook, Maine
- Give A Goat, with Aileen Darragh
Tillbury House Publishers
Lori Caskey ’94 Sigety, Mishawaka, Ind.
- In The Family of Trees, poetry
Craig Smith ’71, Elizabethtown, Pa.
- Every Monday-Finding God on Tough Days, for church leaders
E. Timothy Smith ’75, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Opposition Beyond the Water's Edge: Liberal Internationalists, Pacifists and Containment, 1945-1953
- The United States, Italy and NATO, 1947-52
Trina Chapman-Smith ’85, Auburn, Ind.
- We Laughed, We Cried - The Days that shaped a Doctor - 2013
- 33 Days at Lead Walls - 2007
Graydon F. Snyder ’51, North Manchester, Ind.
- Ante Pacem: Archaeological Evidence of Church Life Before Constantine
- Irish Jesus, Roman Jesus : the Formation of Early Irish Christianity
- King and Messiah as Son of God: Divine, Human, and Angelic Messianic Figures in Biblical and Related Literature
- Health and Medicine in the Anabaptist Tradition: Care in Community (Health/Medicine & the Faith Traditions
- The Apostolic Fathers: A New Translation and Commentary, Volume 6 - The Shepherd
- Apostolic Authors, Volume 6 (VI) A New Translation and Commentary
- Inculturation of the Jesus Tradition: The Impact of Jesus on Jewish and Roman Cultures
- First Corinthians
- Tough Choices: Health Care Decisions and the Faith Community
- In His Hand, Part III
- Texts in Transit II, co-written by Kennith M. Shaffer Jr. and Graydon Snyder
Paul Strode ’91, Boulder, Colo.
- Why Evolution Works (and Creationism Fails), with Matt Young
Gary W. Studebaker ’63, Anaheim, Calif.
- Everything is Copacetic, The Life of Stanley Studebaker
The Spectrum Press
- Autism Spectrum Realities
The Spectrum Press
- Piercing Truths
- Choice Words
- The Queen of Hearts, Zelma Louise Roth Studebaker - A Biography
- The Effects of a Program Fixation upon Motor Performance of Cerebral Palsied Children
University of Oregon
Jo Young Switzer ’69, North Manchester, Ind.
- Interviewing: Art and Skill, with Jeanne Tessier Barone
Allyn & Bacon
R. Jan Thompson ’59, Bridgewater, Va.
Roma Jo Thompson ’75, Mesa, Ariz.
- Beyond Our Means, How the Brethren Service Center Dared To Embrace the World
Gary Tisor ’57x, Struthers, Ohio
Robert Underhill ’46, Ames, Iowa
- The Truman Persuasions
- The Bully Pulpit
- FDR & Harry: Unparalleled Lives
- Blechhammer on the Oder
- I'll See You Again (Fiction)
- Eden So Near (Fiction)
- Life With Alexander
- A Doctor and His Wife
- Jack Shelley and the News
- Alone Among Friends: Biography of Robert Parks
- First the Black Horse
- Meanwhile at Home
- The Rise and Fall of Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Against the Grain
Ruth Esther Walters ’62 Vawter, Indianapolis, Ind.
Tom Wagner ’82, Whitehall, Mich.
- Work and Hope: Further Thoughts on Living Faith, essays from Muskegon County Cooperating Churches newsletter
- A Pilgrim’s Provender: Selected Ponderings on Life and Faith
Phil West ’60, Missoula, Mont.
- Yenching University and Sino-Western Relations, 1916-1952, nominated for Pulitzer Prize in history
Harvard University Press
Shirley Ogle '59 Willard, Rochester, Ind.
- Pictorial History of Rochester, Indiana
- Potawatomi Trail of Death - 1838 Indiana to Kansas
- Fulton County Images
- Fulton County Folks vol. 2
- St. John Lutheran Church of Rochester - 50 year history
- Fulton County Folks vol. 1
Flora Williams ’59, Lafayette, Ind.
- The Shepherd’s Guide through the Valley of Debt and Financial Change: A Comprehensive Manual for Financial Management, Counseling Techniques, and Spiritual Guidance
AuthorHouse, Flora's website
- Hand in Hand with God: Witnessing on the Way
- Renewal: A Collection of Flora’s Poetry
Jeanine Wine ’76, North Manchester, Ind.
- Mrs. Tibbles and the Special Someone
- Silly Tillie
Ruth Esther Walters ’62 Vawter, Indianapolis, Ind.
Ningkun Wu ’48, Great Falls, Va.
- A Single Tear
Atlantic Monthly Press