“A home dedicated to bringing the fullness of life to very special children
through very special care since 1968”
Vernon Manor is a residential home for children with developmental problems or special needs. They house 83 children, ranging in age from 4-55. They run their home with the thought that the residents are no different from the staff and that they should receive and deserve just as much attention and respect as any other children, despite their mental or physical condition.
The Manor prides itself on the amount of outside and community connections they let their residents experience. They take multiple field trips a week to places that would normally be a part of everyone’s life (Wal-mart, Post Offices, etc) as well as special, exciting and fun places that all children enjoy (such as the zoo and fairs/carnivals).
Throughout the school year, those residents that are school-aged are picked up by buses to attend classes, while those who have graduated and are in shape enough to leave the Manor, are bused to workshops that teach and encourage everyday goals and personal skills.
Volunteer Opportunities include:
- Computer Lab Technician: Run the computer lab in the Manor so that there is more time available for residents to work on computers. As is, the lab is open one hour a day, and they are hoping to expand to four hours, 3-7 p.m.
- Play Wii: Help and play Wii with the residents in their play room two hours per day, 5-7p.m. Sign-ups are available for one hour per week or month. (Great for those interested in something that is less time consuming and fun.)
- Lead Praise: Lead a praise service once a week (7 p.m.) at the home. Groups welcome. Sign-ups are available for once a month.
- Share Music: Practice or perform your musical talent in front of the residents.
- Hold a Bible Study: Get a groups of friends and take your bible study group to Vernon Manor and share your thoughts with the residents.
- Accompany Field Trips: Help the staff and residents as they go out on their field trips to various places. Times and dates are pre-planned and require prior communication.
- Birthday Party Assistant: Everyone has a birthday and Vernon Manor wants to celebrate their resident's birth with everyone. Help the staff and residents celebrate by helping with their monthly birthday parties, decorating, organizing and planning.
Those interested in volunteering at the Learn More Center are expected to:
- Complete volunteer form
- Undergo a TB test
- Background check
- Undergo training for those volunteers who return
Weekdays: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
For more information, please contact:
1955 Vernon St.
Wabash, Indiana 46992
Or visit Vernon Manor's homepage.
If you ever have any questions or suggestions about volunteer opportunities, please feel free to contact the Manchester University Office of Volunteer Services: email@example.com.