Scheduling a Writing Conference
Being prepared prior to visiting the Writing Center is important. Follow these tips to help make your session go smoothly and efficiently.
- Call or visit the Writing Center to schedule a session. If you prefer working with a specific consultant, you can make an appointment in the Success Center or by contacting the Writing Center at WritingConsultants@manchester.edu. Students are encouraged to make appointments early in the semester.
- Make sure you understand the assignment requirements and expectations as best possible. Gather assignment sheets and syllabi to bring along with you. Be prepared to discuss the purpose and audience for your project.
- Know why you're there. Be able to describe the type of help you think you need. Ask specific questions that you want answered.
- Bring your materials. Please bring a copy of your draft or outline, along with notes and related source materials.
- Allow at least 20 minutes for your session. Your consultant will help you to create a plan for your paper; this may entail scheduling additional appointments.
- Don't wait until the last minute! … but if you do … prepare to dedicate a sufficient amount of attention and time to plan and write your paper properly.