Teacher Education Committee
|Membership: Members of the Teacher Education Committee are comprised of:
- the Director of Teacher Education (serving as executive secretary),
- the Vice President and Dean for Academic Affairs,
- one faculty member from each division,
- the Chair of the Department of Education (ex officio),
- an executive officer of the Student Education Association,
- one student representing a licensing level different than that of the other student representative.
Chair: Chosen by the committee from its faculty membership.
Duties: Policy formation, advisory, external liaison, appellate jurisdiction
- to serve as liaison between the Manchester University faculty and the external licensing and accrediting agencies.
- to review as needed, at least every five years, all teaching certification patterns to determine their effectiveness in meeting:
(1) the needs of perspective teachers,
(2) the graduation requirements of Manchester University,
(3) the requirements of the certification bulletin of the State of Indiana,
(4) the accreditation standards of appropriate accrediting organizations.
- to recommend policy regarding the teacher education program and teacher certification patterns.
- to make minor modifications in teacher certification patterns after consultation with the department(s) affected, within the guidelines established by Manchester University and the certification bulletin of the State of Indiana.
- to review recommendations from the director of teacher education regarding all candidates for admission to teacher education, student teaching and final certification. Student representatives will not function in this duty.
- to serve as an appellate body for students who have not been recommended by the director of teacher education. Student representatives will not function in this duty.
- to advise the director of teacher education.
Input and Output:
- The committee may receive proposals from departments, divisions, and academic officers.
- The committee shall report to the faculty through the chair. Policy items may be brought to the faculty via the Executive Committee or forwarded to other committees.
- The committee shall process through the Academic Policies Committee all recommendations for adding and dropping teacher certification patterns, with final action to be taken by the faculty.
- The chair shall report promptly to the faculty minor modifications in teacher certification patterns.
- The committee shall submit a copy of the minutes to the chair of the Department of Education to keep the chair fully informed of committee action. The chair shall also submit a copy of the minutes, excluding executive sessions, for the file in the Office of Academic Affairs.