Student Learning Goals
- General Knowledge of Psychology
Demonstrate knowledge in the six major areas of psychology: memory & thinking, sensory & physiology, developmental, clinical & abnormal, social, measurement & methodology.
- Discuss psychological theories and research in the classroom
- Integrate psychological perspectives to application in the world
- Critical Thinking
Think, reason, and draw conclusions after weighing evidence.
- Analyze effective conflict mediation strategies
- Evaluate research
- Diagnose cases of mental disorders
- View social problems through multiple lenses
- Research Measurement & Methodology
Conduct and present a research report demonstrating effective use of the scientific method.
- Present research at regional and national research conferences and professional meetings
Participate in service activities that connect psychological concepts to community needs.
- Participate in multiple service-learning projects in the community
Analyze the cultural systems that impact different human groups.
- Participate in January Term courses to Hawaii, Jamaica, France
- Participate and facilitate diversity workshops
Describe and follow the steps necessary for therapeutic listening.
- Training in conflict mediation
- Counseling support groups
- Oral communication
Students completing the psychology major will demonstrate oral communication competence.
- Oral presentations in 70% of psychology courses
- Written communication
Students completing the psychology major will demonstrate written communication competence.
- Written papers in 100% of psychology courses
Students will show entry level competence in professional skill areas such as: Interviewing, listening, behavioral analysis, etc.
- Practicum experience in a professional setting
- Senior Portfolios include a vitae/resume and personal statement/cover letter or graduate school or job application