Manchester College is located on a large, wooded campus in northern Indiana, about one mile north of the business section of North Manchester, a town with a population of 6,700.
The original campus, a 10-acre plot with large oak trees, fronts on College Avenue, with the Administration Building at the center. The entire campus and grounds, including the athletic fields and the College woods, cover an area of more than 120 acres. The Koinonia Environmental and Retreat Center in Kosciusko County adds 100 acres of natural land to College resources.
Administration Building. The central portion of the Administration Building was erected in 1921, combining the original Bible School and Bumgerdner Hall. The offices of the president, executive vice president and most vice presidents are located on the first floor of this College landmark. In addition, the offices of Admissions, Student Financial Services, Financial Services, Media and Public Relations, Academic Affairs, and the Registrar are located on the first floor along with Wampler Auditorium. Classrooms and offices for the Peace Studies, Sociology and Social Work, and English departments are on the second floor; and Modern Languages, Accounting and Business, and Psychology departments are on the third floor. The department of Religion and Philosophy offices are split between the second and third floor. Offices for the department of History and Political Science are on the lower level, in addition to the offices of College Advancement, Alumni, Publications and Design, and Printing Services.
Calvin Ulrey Hall
Once a residence hall, this building now houses the Student Activites office on the lower floor. The office of Health and Counseling Services and the department of Education are located on the first floor. The offices of Sudent Development, Human Resources and Residential Life are located on the second floor. The departments of Communication Studies and Economics are located on the third floor.
Clark Computer Center. Through a generous gift by John G. Clark, a 1932 graduate, the former Goshorn Building was completely renovated in 1984 into a multi-functional computer center. Housed in this building is the Office of Information Technology Services, a conference room, a student computer lab, and one classroom.
Funderburg Library. The library, renovated in 1999, provides materials to serve the College curriculum, bibliographic and interlibrary loan support for research, and instruction in the use of information sources.
Its 175,000 bound volumes, 500 printed periodical subscriptions, 5,600 sound and video recordings, and more than 20,000 online periodicals in 70 databases provide valuable research resources.
An interlibrary loan service delivers materials from potentially thousands of libraries.
Funderburg’s three floors can accommodate more than 200 students. Comfortable lounges for relaxed reading are balanced by special areas for computers, audio and video equipment, group conferences, and after-hours study. The Teaching Resource Center contains thousands of textbooks and curricular materials for education majors. Special collections include the College archives, Brethren historical materials, and the peace studies collection.
Holl-Kintner Hall. Holl-Kintner, built in 1959, was named in honor of two distinguished former science faculty members, Dr. Carl W. Holl, chemistry; and Dr. Edward Kintner, biology.
Otho Winger Memorial Hall. This building, named for former Manchester President Otho Winger, contains the art and music departments. There are a number of art studios, classrooms, practice rooms for student use, a four-station computer music laboratory, and a 14-rank pipe organ. The Norman and Grace Wine Recital Hall and Link Gallery provide attractive and welcoming settings for recitals, lectures, meetings and art shows.
Physical Education and Recreation Center. Constructed in 1982 and renovated and expanded in 1997 and 2010, this building houses the exercise and sport sciences department, intercollegiate and intramural sports, and is the center for recreational activities. The multipurpose Stauffer-Wolfe Arena, seating 1,800, provides one competition or six practice basketball courts. Other facilities include the auxiliary gym, Brown Fitness Center, dance/multipurpose room, athletic training room, exercise and sport sciences offices, four classrooms, human performance laboratory and two racquetball courts.
Science Center. Opened in fall 2005, the Science Center contains 60 classrooms and laboratories, a large lecture hall, faculty offices, a greenhouse and an atrium. The Physics and Mathematics and Computer Science departments are located on the first floor.The Biology Department offices are located on the second floor, and the Chemistry Department is located on the third floor. Various artworks are on display in the three-story atrium, and displays highlighting the history of science at Manchester College are located along the hallways.
To meet the preferences and needs of its diverse student body, Manchester provides a variety of living options in five residence halls, each representing distinctive small groups within the larger College community. To complement classroom learning, to stimulate personal growth, and to spark interpersonal relationships, the residence hall councils and staff present programs and activities for students. A major responsibility of residence hall staff members is to motivate, encourage and advise students in the residential environment.
All residence hall rooms are wired to the campus computer system, which includes internet capability. In addition, each traditional residence hall houses a computer lab equipped with computers and laser printers available for student use.
East Street College Apartments provide a number of housing options for students classified as juniors or seniors. Married students and students who are parents of dependent children may contact the Financial Services Office about the housing options that can be provided on a space-available basis.
East Hall is a residence hall for 183 men and women. The ground floor provides a large social room, cooking areas, laundry facilities and a TV lounge. The hall has a main lounge and smaller study rooms/ lounges.
Garver Hall provides a home for 269 men and women. This hall, named in honor of a former professor and dean, Earl S. Garver, has two separate residential areas with a shared lounge and recreational area. Garver also has a piano, a TV room and several smaller lounges.
Helman Hall, named in honor of former Manchester President A. Blair Helman, was constructed in 1993. This air-conditioned, co-ed residence hall houses 129 men and women in an alternate floor arrangement. Each suite contains two, two-student rooms and a bath. The Patricia Kennedy Helman Lounge on the first floor provides recreational, TV, meeting and informal conversation areas. Other amenities include elevator service, a kitchenette and vending area on the first floor, laundry facilities and study rooms on each floor.
Oakwood Hall, located on College Avenue, mirrors Helman Hall’s design, housing 129 students in four-student suites. A lounge on the first floor provides areas for recreation, conversation and watching TV. It has an elevator, a kitchenette and vending area on first floor, and storage rooms, laundry facilities and study areas on each floor.
Schwalm Hall is named for a former Manchester President Vernon F. Schwalm. This formerly all-male residence hall was renovated and refurnished in summer 2004 to accommodate 208 men and women in a variety of living options. A TV lounge and a recreational area are available for student use.
The College maintains multiple computer labs with almost 150 computers. Major labs (with 20 computers or more) exist in the Funderburg Library and Clark Computer Center. A large computer science lab resides in the Science Center. Each of the five residence halls contains a computer lab. In addition to these main labs, some academic departments have computer equipment. Lab hours are generally posted. Public labs contain computers that are less than 2 years old, with at least 2GB RAM, a DVD/CD-RW combo drive (some have DVD-RW), a 17” or 19" flat-panel monitor and a sound card (headphones may be used with any lab machine). Public machines run Windows Vista as the operating system although Windows 7 is planned for the Fall 2010 Semester and beyond. Software applications installed on the machines include Microsoft Office 2007 (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher, Visio, Project, and Expression Web) and several academic packages. Wireless connectivity is available in Clark Computer Center, the Cordier Auditorium lobby, most of Calvin Ulrey, the Funderburg Library, Holl-Kintner classrooms, Petersime Chapel, the Science Center, the Union, parts of Winger, and the residence hall lobbies. The residence hall wireless work should be completed for the 2010-2011 academic year.
Human Performance Laboratory
The Human Performance Laboratory, located in the Physical Education and Recreation Center, houses the laboratory areas for human biomechanics, exercise physiology and athletic training courses. Laboratory equipment includes a state-of-the-art isokinetic dynamometer for quantifying muscle function, spirometer for measuring lung capacity, motorized treadmill, and apparatus for the manufacture of semi-rigid orthotics.
Natural Sciences Laboratories
The Science Center contains laboratories for biology, chemistry, physics and computer science. Located on the first floor are laboratories for computer science, physics, electronics, electricity/magnetism/optics, modern physics and physics research. An atomic force microscope allows imaging of atomic-level phenomena.
Biology laboratories are located on the second floor. These laboratories are for molecular biology, physiology and morphology, ecology and biodiversity, and microbiology. Molecular biology facilities include a DNA sequencer and a polymerase chain reaction thermocycler, and real-time polymerase chain reaction cycler. Additionally, three research laboratories and a special support room containing walk-in warm and cold rooms are located on the second floor. The greenhouse is located near the third floor of the atrium.
Third-floor laboratories are for analytical, organic and physical chemistry, and biochemistry. Four chemistry research laboratories and two instrumental support rooms including a separate nuclear magnetic resonance laboratory are also located on the third floor.
A geology laboratory is housed in Holl-Kintner Hall.
A recently acquired atomic force microscope allows imaging of atomic-level phenomena.
The Kenapocomoco Athletic Fields are located on the east side of campus. The Carl W. Burt Stadium provides football facilities along the Eel River.* The stadium was named in honor of Burt, a coach and teacher from 1925 to 1942. The baseball team plays on Gratz Field, named in honor of Jim Gratz, a coach and teacher from 1962 to 1987. The College also maintains a softball field, soccer field, six tennis courts, an outdoor track and a cross country course along with numerous intramural athletic spaces.
Charles S. Morris Observatory
The observatory was built in 1973. A 14˝-foot motorized dome and a 10-inch Newtonian reflector telescope are located in the dome building. The adjacent laboratory building includes a darkroom facility and other telescopes. Funds to build the observatory were provided by the family, friends and former students of Dr. Charles S. Morris, distinguished physics professor at Manchester College for 36 years.
A long-standing tradition at Manchester College is the ringing of the chime each morning and evening while school is in session. The 10-bell chime, a gift of friends and alumni of the College, is located in the tower of the Administration Building.
The newly renovated College Union houses student dining, the Campus Store, The Oaks snack bar, an art gallery, the Success Center, and the offices of career services and conference services. The facility also includes meeting and conference rooms available to faculty, students and guests.
This auditorium was named for Dr. Andrew W. Cordier, a 1922 graduate of Manchester and former distinguished professor. Dr. Cordier also was a scholar, diplomat, conciliator, negotiator and administrator. Cordier Auditorium was completed in spring 1978. This spacious building seats 1,300 people continental style. A three-manual, 45-rank pipe organ was installed in 1981, funded in part by a generous gift from William H. and Miriam Waybright ’39 Cable. Dressing rooms, stage preparation, storage areas and fly loft are provided in this facility. A large dividable meeting room is available on the lower level.
Koinonia Environmental and Retreat Center
Located 12 miles north of the campus, this 100-acre nature reserve includes a 5-acre lake and wetland complex, restored prairie, woods and a mineral resources trail created by Indiana Mineral Aggregates Association. A two-story building on the property houses the nature center, biological field station and retreat center. Class and seminar rooms, environmental laboratories, food preparation and overnight housing facilities are also part of the building. The original 80 acres was given to Manchester College in 1974. An adjacent 20 acres was added in 1992 as a gift from Ortho ’50 and Dr. Ruth Mangon ’50 Holland.
Manchester College Intercultural Center
This center on College Avenue across from the Administration Building houses the Office of Multicultural Service and Campus Diversity and offers a place for all students, particularly students of color and international students, to meet, socialize and study in a comfortable, homelike environment.
The lower level of the center includes a reception, lounge, kitchen and the Multicultural Affairs Programmers office. The upper level contains the office of the director of multicultural services and campus diversity, the AAFRO House library, a growing collection of books, magazines, CDs and videos. The upper level also houses an expanding computer lab, a conference room and a multipurpose office. These materials are available for check out to the general College community. The house is overseen by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and is open during regular hours.
Neher Maintenance Center
This building was named for Oscar W. Neher, a valued member of the Manchester College community from 1932 until his death in 1976. Mr. Neher was a teacher of biology until 1954 when, upon retirement, he joined the maintenance department, first as its administrator and later as a skilled cabinet maker. Maintenance administration offices are located there, as are several workshops.
The Gladdys Muir Peace Garden, located on Wayne Street at the entrance to the College, was completed in 2001. It was built to acknowledge and celebrate the 50th anniversary of the College’s distinguished peace studies program and recognize it as the first of its kind in the nation. The peace garden is a place for quiet reflection and the refurbished small cottage is a “meeting house.”
As a gift from the Ray M. Petersime family of Gettysburg, Ohio, this chapel, cruciform in shape, is the focal center on the south end of the campus quadrangle. The sanctuary seats up to 70 and has a six-rank pipe organ. Faith, higher education, and their relationship are illustrated in 30 stained glass windows. The structure also houses a meditation room, prayer rooms for individuals, conference room and lounge for groups, and offices for the campus ministry staff.
The central heating plant, constructed in 1967, furnishes heat for all the buildings on campus.
The Success Center exists to assist students in defining, clarifying, and achieving their academic, professional, and personal goals to enhance their Manchester College experience. It combines a wide range of services at two easy-to-find locations. Academic Support, the Writing Center, the Honors Program, and Career Services are located at the College Union second floor. Health and Counseling Services are located in Calvin Ulrey.
*The Eel River is better known to Manchester College students as the Kenapocomoco because of Native American history associated with it and brought to light by the research and publicity of a former Manchester president, Dr. Otho Winger.