Manchester University Mission Statement
Manchester University respects the infinite worth of every individual and graduates persons of ability and conviction who draw upon their education and faith to lead principled, productive, and compassionate lives that improve the human condition.
As a community of higher education rooted in the liberal arts and the traditions of the Church of the Brethren, Manchester University values:
- Learning, because high academic expectations in an environment combining liberal arts and professional preparation equip graduates to live healthy, productive, and principled lives;
- Faith, because our diverse faiths call us to make the world a kinder and better place, establish justice, build peace amid strife, and model lives of agape (selfless love), tikkun olam (repairing a broken world), and salam (peace);
- Service, because committing self in service to others connects faith with action and abilities with convictions;
- Integrity, because honesty and trust are the foundations of teaching and learning, enriching, enduring relationships, and strong communities;
- Diversity, because understanding differences develops respect for ethnic, cultural, and religious pluralism; an international consciousness; and an appreciation for the infinite worth of every person; and
- Community, because a positive community sharpens self-identity, promotes acceptance of the demands of responsible citizenship, and transforms conflict into mutual respect.
Manchester will be best known as the university that guides and supports its students to accomplish levels of academic and personal achievement that surpass even their own expectations.
The campuses will be infused with a commitment to student learning in the liberal arts, along with professional preparation for work, life, and service in a global society.
Manchester will be a student-centered university that inspires high standards, innovation, and energetic engagement.
We will continually seek new partnerships, weave new technologies into teaching and learning, design curricula, strengthen students’ understanding of community, and generate sufficient revenue to support operations, increase the endowment, and launch new ventures.
As this energizing vision is realized, everyone who studies and works here will say “what I do makes a difference.”
- Inspire effective learning to enable students to exceed expectations.
- Be “mission centered and market smart” to maximize our impact in the world.
- Build and sustain systems and processes to enhance student success.
- Generate sufficient recognition to widen support for Manchester’s mission.
- Develop and maintain a financial margin sufficient to support Manchester’s mission and vision.