MU Home | Address Book | Search | Sitemap



Green Factoid

In 2003, only 48.3% of office paper was recovered for recycling.

 

Source:

From "15 Facts about the Paper Industry, Global Warming and the Environment" at The Daily Green.


Skip Navigation LinksGCI Home : What You Can Do : Green Pledge

Green Campus Stewardship Pledge

I pledge to help Manchester University promote responsible stewardship of our environment and limited resources by incorporating some or all of the following practices in my everyday life:

 

  • Attending lectures, seminars, and classes to learn about environmental preservation topics.
  • Conserving energy by turning down thermostats, turning off lights and using compact fluorescent light bulbs. Why?
    • During cold months, lowering the thermostat 10 degrees when no one is home can save 326 pounds of CO2 over the course of the year. (Source: http://www.thegreenguide.com
  • Drinking tap water instead of bottled water when possible. Why?
    • According to a 2001 report of the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), roughly 1.5 million tons of plastic are expended in the bottling of 89 billion liters of water each year. (Source: http://www.allaboutwater.org)
  • Joining University sponsored programs and groups devoted to sustainability, such as:
    • MU Environmental Club
    • Organic Garden Crew
    • Environmental Studies Department
    • Recycling Crew
    • Office of Volunteer Services - Green Projects e.g. Scape Your Plate
    • Green Campus Initiative Task Force
    • "Take a Bike / Leave a Bike" Crew
  • Reducing waste by using a reusable mug and water bottle, taking my own bags to the grocery store, donating used clothes and furniture to charity groups or others who can use them. Why?
    • In 2005, Americans used and discarded 14.4 billion disposable paper cups for hot beverages. If put end-to-end, those cups would circle the earth 55 times. (Source: http://www.treehugger.com)
  • Buying locally grown food products and supporting local food growers. Why?
    • Buying locally decreases the distance food must travel. In doing so, it reduces carbon dioxide emissions from trucking and requires less packaging materials.
    • Only about 10 percent of the fossil fuel energy used in the world’s food system is used in production; the other 90 percent goes into packaging, transportation and marketing.
    • Source: http://www.foodroutes.com
  • Purchasing sustainable products such as Energy Star appliances, Green Seal products and recycled paper.
  • Think before I print or photocopy, and using the double-sided setting when I print.
  • Recycling plastic, paper, glass, aluminum and cardboard, etc. Why?
    • Paper
      • Commercial and residential paper waste accounts for more than 40 percent of waste going to the landfill. Eliminating this paper from our waste would nearly double the lives of current landfills.
      • Resources saved per ton of paper recycled:
        • 17 Trees
        • 275 Pounds of Sulfer
        • 350 Pounds of Limestone
        • 9,000 Pounds of Steam
        • 60,000 Gallons of Water
        • 225 Kilowatt Hours
        • 3.3 Cubic Yards of Landfill Space
    • Glass
      • Every ton of glass recycled saves the equivalent of nine gallons of fuel oil needed to make glass from virgin materials.
    • Metals
      • Every three months, the U.S. throws away enough aluminum to rebuild our entire commercial airline fleet.
      • Recycling aluminum uses 95 percent less energy than making new aluminum from bauxite ore.
      • Source: The Public Recycling Officials of Pennsylvania, Developing a Waste Reduction and Recycling Program for Commercial, Industrial and Municipal Establishments, May 1995.
  • Minimizing auto travel and walking or riding my bike whenever possible. Why?
    • The transportation sector alone is responsible for about one-third of our nation's total production of carbon dioxide. (Source: Environmental Defense Fund)
  • Unplugging electronics and chargers from the wall when not in use. Why?
    • As long as cell phone chargers are plugged into outlets, they continue to drain electricity even when not hooked up to phones; only 5 percent of electricity drawn by the charger is actually used to charge the phone. The other 95 percent is emitted as heat. (Source: http://www.treehugger.com)
  • Washing my clothes in cold water. Why?
    • A switch of all U.S. washers to cold water, which gets clothes just as clean as warm or hot water, would mean a savings of about 30 million tons in CO2 emissions per year. (Source: http://www.terrapass.com)