The Benefits of Endowed Scholarships
- Scholarships give promising students a choice.
The average family income of students at private four-year colleges in Indiana is actually less than
that of students at Indiana’s public universities. Manchester University scholarships help level the financial playing field with state schools.
- Scholarships help hold down student debt. Manchester graduates leave here with about $16,000 in debt, compared to more than $22,000 at Ball State University, more than $25,000 at IU Bloomington, and $24,000 at Purdue.* And Manchester has worked hard to hold down student costs. In the past decade, tuition and fees at other private colleges and universities in Indiana have increased more than at Manchester.
- Scholarships enrich the Manchester experience. With generous financial aid to offer, Manchester can compete for the best and brightest college-bound students. When academically strong, highly motivated students study here the level of
education is elevated for everyone.
- Scholarships liberate students to be what they want to be, not what they can afford to be. A Peace Studies major can afford to help refugees in Asia or work to end famine in Africa. Teachers and social workers can pay back their college loans and still pay the bills. Future physicians can take on the expense of medical school knowing they can manage their debt.
- Scholarships change the course of families forever. About 25 percent of our students are the first in their families to attend college. First-generation college graduates create a rising cycle of educational attainment and economic prosperity for generations to come.
- Endowed scholarships leave an enduring legacy. Books, equipment - even buildings - are vital, but they don’t last forever. Manchester scholarships do.
- Scholarships enhance Manchester’s reputation. Top-quality students raise Manchester’s stature among other colleges and universities, and that strengthens the value of every Manchester diploma.
- Scholarships strengthen the economy. When job-creating companies look for a new location to open a plant they seek areas with a pool of potential workers who are already skilled and educated.
*Source: Project on Student Debt
With Students First! we can not only imagine a world where college is affordable for students of promise, we can create it. When we make scholarships possible, we leave our mark on the future.
To review the current list of named endowed scholarships, click here.
To contact a development officer about endowed scholarships, click here.