Learn More Center
“It’s all about learning”
The Learn More Center has always worked closely with Manchester University, especially through Indiana Reading Corps and other similar tutoring programs.
The Learn More Center (LMC) is an institute dedicated to adult education. With astounding truths and statistics such as that 12% of functional adults read below a fourth grade reading level, and over 30% of adults in Indiana are dysfunctionally illiterate, the center hopes to help change these for the better. They respond to the needs of adult students, which include but are not limited to; contacts with colleges, tutoring, child care as to allow time for learnign and applicatiions, emotional support, campus visits, enrichment trips, administering the college placement exam for Ivy tech, as well as just being there for the student as they continue their journey.
The Learn More Center also receives requests for tutoring of children, which they pass on to Manchester University for possible tutors.
Volunteer Opportunities include:
- Assist students with writing skills. Develope ability to write complete sentences, well-developed paragraphs and an organized and logical essay.
- Tutor students in basic math concepts: fractions, decimals, percents and word problems.
- Tutor students with math concepts for the GED: proportions, equations, basic geometry and basic algebra with a concentration on solving word problems in each area.
- Help students develop their vocabulary to suceed in reading the GED exam and to prepare for post secondary success.
- Facilitate students' skill by working through units on poetry, graphs, charts and diagram questions, and how to write an essay in 45 minutes.
- Devloping critical reading skills in all areas.
- Website development and managment of LMC site - updating Facebook page and responding to comments.
Those interested in volunteering at the Learn More Center are expected to:
- Comply with training
- Complete volunteer form
The Learn More Center is open Monday-Thursday, though some events have special times and places.
For more information, please contact:
603 Bond St, Suite #5
N. Manchester, IN 46962
Or visit The Learn More Center's homepage.
If you ever have any questions or suggestions about volunteer opportunities, please feel free to contact the Manchester University Office of Volunteer Services: firstname.lastname@example.org.