International Students | Social Security Number
Congratulations on getting your campus job!
Now that you've been hired to work on campus, your next step is to visit the
Social Security Office (SSA) to apply for a Social Security Number or SSN.
Remember that you MUST provide proof of having applied for your SSN card to the
Business Office before you will be paid.
When should you apply for a Social Security Number (SSN)?
- You should apply for a Social Security Number once you have secured authorized employment. You must wait ten (10) working days after arriving in the U.S. before you may apply.
- You are not required to have a SSN before you start working. You must have it before you will get paid.
What do I need in order to apply for a Social Security Number?
- Download form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. See tips below
- Box 9: Use mother's name only; don't worry about the other box
- Box 10: Use father's name only; don't worry about the other box
- Box 15: If you don't have a phone, use "260-982-5423"
- Box 16: Use "604 E. College Ave, North Manchester, IN 46962" Include MU Box#
- Box 18: Check the box for "Self"
- Official passport & VISA
- I-94 document (print form from this website)
- I-20 form
- An employment offer letter from potential supervisor (download sample letter here)
- An authorization letter from the International Office, International Student Advisor or Designated School Official (DSO) on campus
PLEASE NOTE: THE SOCIAL SECURITY CARD WILL BE MAILED TO YOU IN APPROXIMATELY 2-6 WEEKS AT THE ADDRESS LISTED ON THE APPLICATION.
Closest office to North Manchester:
Social Security Administration
844 North Miller Ave.
Marion, IN 46952
If you need a ride, please contact the Office of Multicultural Affairs to work out arrangements.