Student Life

C.A.R.E. Initiative - GET HELP

*Click on handprint to the right to exit page safely (if using mobile device, please see handprint at the bottom of page)*

Get Help

If you have experienced a sexual assault or violence in a dating or intimate relationship, the most important thing you can do is get to a safe place. If you believe you or anyone else is in immediate danger, call 911 as soon as possible.

Once you are safe, contact someone you trust to be with you for support. This could be a friend, family member, Fort Wayne Sexual Violence Treatment Center, or someone on campus such as health & counseling services, the university pastor, and/or our on-campus victim advocate.

All people should get help if they witness or experience sexual violence—including non U.S. Citizens.

Seek Medical Attention

No matter what happened, you should seek medical attention as soon as you can—even if you’re not sure if you want to report the incident.

It’s the best way to protect yourself from the risk of sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy in connection with a sexual assault. And even if you think you’re physically okay, you may have injuries that need treatment.

It’s also important to have a forensic exam done. This ensures that evidence gets collected in case you decide to report what happened to the police or campus authorities.

The following resources can help confidentially guide you and/or accompany you through the process, if needed: 

  • MU Counseling Services: 260-982-5306
  • MU Nurse: 260-982-5306
  • MU Campus Pastor: 260-982-5243
  • Fort Wayne Sexual Assault Treatment Center (services both N. Manchester & Fort Wayne Campuses): 24/7 Hotline 260-423-2222.
  • Hands of Hope: 24/7 Hotline 260-563-4407

Preserve Evidence of the Sexual Violence or Encounter

While you might be tempted to try to erase all signs of what happened to you, it’s important to preserve the evidence. You may need it to provide proof of criminal activity or to obtain a protection order.

Do not do any of the following things until you’ve gotten medical attention and/or contacted the police.

  • Bathe or shower
  • Use the restroom
  • Change clothes
  • Comb hair
  • Clean up the crime scene
  • Move anything the offender may have touched

Don’t try to collect evidence yourself. Hands of Hope, Fort Wayne Sexual Assault Treatment Center, and the Victim Advocate office of Fort Wayne Police Department can assist with collection and support. Get help from medical or law enforcement personnel as soon as possible—or at least within 96 hours of the assault.

Get Counseling and Support

Coping with the aftermath of a sexual assault or dating or domestic violence can be very difficult—but remember, you’re not alone. Both N. Manchester and Fort Wayne campuses have access to counseling and health services as well as a university to assist in your wellness needs. There are resources available in the community. See the following link for access to contact information.

Make it a priority to get the help you need to process what happened to you and recover from the incident.

Know Your Rights. Know Your Options.

Deciding whether or not to report an incident isn’t easy. Feel free to take your time with the decision (but make sure to get medical attention to collect evidence).

If you do not decide to report the event, you have several options to talk to someone confidentially. You can contact:

  • MU Counseling Services: 260-982-5306
  • MU Nurse: 260-982-5306
  • MU Campus Pastor: 260-982-5243
  • On-Campus Victim Advocate (Heidi Vandermark): 260-563-4407
  • Fort Wayne Sexual Assault Treatment Center (services N. Manchester & Fort Wayne campuses): 260-423-2222

If you do decide to report the event, you have several options. You can:

  • Report it to campus safety or local law enforcement (use the following link for contact information).
  • Contact a Responsible Employee.
  • File a complaint with the interim Title IX Coordinator, Whitney Bandemer.
  • Use the Report It! form.


If you do report the event to campus authorities, you can ask them to help you notify law enforcement. You can also decline to involve the police.

**Manchester University strives to uphold privacy and confidentiality as much as possible and only shares information received with those who have a need to know in order to respond.  Individuals who desire anonymity in discussing and seeking assistance about sexual misconduct should contact and/or be referred to a confidential employee.**

Adapted from "Get Help" . (2017). Indiana University Stop Sexual Violence. Retrieved from