International Students at Taste of Africa

  1. Can I get a full scholarship to Manchester?
    The International Student Scholarship will cover a portion of the cost of tuition only. The remainder of the cost of tuition, housing, food plan, and fees are at the expense of the student and his/her financial sponsors. Manchester does not provide full scholarships to any of its international students.

  2. I’m a very good athlete. Can I get an athletic scholarship?
    Manchester has NCAA Division III athletic status and does not offer athletic scholarships to any enrolled students. The International Student Scholarship is based upon your academic achievement in secondary school, university (if transferring), and on standard tests such as SAT, TOEFL, or IELTS.

  3. If my grades are exceptionally good at Manchester, will I get a larger scholarship?
    Your scholarship will not be increased during your four years at Manchester. It will remain the same percentage of the cost of tuition as when you were accepted. This will absorb some of the yearly increase in tuition costs, but your financial sponsors also will need to increase their support each year.  Yearly increases in cost average between 5% and 7%.

  4. What is the SEVIS system?
    SEVIS is the acronym for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. It is a U.S. government reporting and monitoring system for tracking international students and visitors coming into the United States. As a SEVIS school, Manchester University is legally bound to abide by all U.S. regulations regarding the tracking and reporting of international students.

  5. Can I transfer to another college once I arrive on Manchester’s campus?
    Before a student may transfer to another college or university, we must have proof of acceptance and contact by the university to which you are transferring. You must physically be present on Manchester’s campus before we can initiate transfer to another university.

  6. Can I transfer in to Manchester from another school?
    To transfer to Manchester from a university outside the U.S. we require, besides the normal documents for admission, an original transcript in English for our files. You also must have your transcript evaluated by World Education Services (www.wes.org) or Educator Evaluators International (www.educei.com)  to determine which credits might transfer to Manchester. If your university is in the U.S. we must have an official transcript and a completed Transfer Student Information sheet from the appropriate department at your university which we will send them.

  7. Can I make tuition payments monthly?
    All first-year students must pay the balance of fall semester tuition, housing and fees charges upon receipt of the estimate sent by the Admissions Office by Aug. 1 and by Jan.15 for second semester. On subsequent years, the fall semester bill is due Aug. 5 and the spring semester fees are due Jan. 15. After a student's first year, they can work with Student Financial Services to set up a monthly payment plan. 

  8. Can I work off-campus?
    According to U.S. government rules, a student must attend a college or university for a full academic year before requesting a work permit for off-campus employment. The most common reason for off-campus employment is “Economic Hardship” which must be substantiated by the Director of Multicultural Services before being submitted through the SEVIS system. The new I-20 and all documentation must then be sent to the U.S. government. It usually takes three to four months for the decision to approve or deny the request.  You must re-apply each year. There is a substantial fee involved.

  9. What is a Social Security number?
    Each person who is employed in the United States must have a Social Security number for reporting income to the federal and state governments. It is an identifying number you also will need to apply for a driver’s license,and  get a job. Some banks require the information to open a banking account.  The Office of Multicultural Services will take you to the Social Security office after you have lined up an on-campus job and help you obtain a card.

  10. What should I call my professors?
    Most professors are addressed by their title of Dr. or Professor followed by their last name.  At Manchester, however, many professors are more comfortable by being addressed by their first names. Usually they will tell you in your first few classes how they prefer to be addressed.

  11. Must I live on campus?
    All students at Manchester must live on campus until their senior year and use one of the campus meal plans. Manchester has five residence halls and costs vary depending on the amenities in each. See costs listed at tuition and fees. International students choosing to live off campus, will lose approximately 25% of the awarded scholarship money. 

  12. Must I be a Christian to attend Manchester?
    Manchester does not discriminate on the basis of national or ethnic origin, race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, disability, or veteran status in admissions or any area of campus life. We respect all faiths.

  13. How many years will it take to complete a bachelor’s degree?
    Traditionally, liberal arts college students take four years to complete a bachelor’s degree. Some areas of study offer a two-year associate's degree. If you intend to continue studying for a masters and/or Ph.D., you first must complete the bachelor’s degree. Pre-pharmacy students may apply to our College of Pharmacy after completing two years of pre-pharmacy courses.

  14. Do you offer ESL (English as a Second Language) classes?
    Manchester does not offer English language instruction for international students. Admitted students must be proficient in reading, comprehending, speaking, and writing in idiomatic English. Students whose language of instruction has been English must submit original test scores from the SAT Reasoning Test. Students who have not been taught in English for three to four years must submit original test scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson PTE or STEP Eiken language exams.

  15. Can I get a job while at Manchester?
    First-year students may get on-campus jobs. Information about job searching will be shared during new student orientation. Job descriptions are available, and applications are made through the Career Services website. Internships can provide practical application of your academic major,  may be on or off campus and can be arranged through the Office of Career Services. International students must take Curricular Practical Training (CPT) time to do these type of internships and go through the prescribed procedures with the advice of the Director of Multicultural Services.

  16. What about jobs after I graduate from Manchester?
    International students who want to work in the U.S. after graduation must apply for OPT (Optional Practical Training) several months prior to graduation. This requires extensive research and paperwork in addition to a fee to the U.S. government with the application.  Once you are approved and receive your EAD card from the U.S. government, you may work in a business or location appropriate for your major for up to 12 months. The Office of Multicultural Services and the Office of Career Services will help you with the job-hunting process and paperwork to to get your OPT assignment and application completed.

  17. I want to attend The University of Manchester located in the United Kingdom. How can I contact them?
    Here is the link to the International Admissions webpage for The University of Manchester. You can also fill out an inquiry form to be contacted by their office here. We do not have any affiliation with The University of Manchester so are unable to provide further detail than that.

Social Media

Visit Us!
We hope you can visit us in person, but if not check out our virtual tour.

Virtual Tour