Being prepared prior to visiting the Writing Center is important. Follow these tips to help make your session go smoothly and efficiently.
- Call or visit the Writing Center to schedule a session. If you prefer working with a specific consultant, you can make an appointment in the Success Center or by contacting the Writing Center at WritingConsultants@manchester.edu. Students are encouraged to make appointments early in the semester.
- Make sure you understand the assignment requirements and expectations as best possible. Gather assignment sheets and syllabi to bring along with you. Be prepared to discuss the purpose and audience for your project.
- Know why you're there. Be able to describe the type of help you think you need. Ask specific questions that you want answered.
- Bring your materials. Please bring a copy of your draft or outline, along with notes and related source materials.
- Allow at least 20 minutes for your session. Your consultant will help you to create a plan for your paper; this may entail scheduling additional appointments.
- Don't wait until the last minute! … but if you do … prepare to dedicate a sufficient amount of attention and time to plan and write your paper properly.
A typical session lasts 20 minutes, depending on the project. Consultants will ask for information to help understand the assignment, and what help is needed.
If the writing project is in the pre-draft stage, the consultant will help the student to generate ideas about a topic, consider what stylistic choices to make, and outline and diagram ideas.
As a work progresses, the writing consultant can help to organize concepts, clarify main points, and summarize key thoughts. A consultant may ask questions in order to signal a conflict or note a place where more detail or explanation is needed. Students should receive criticism offered by consultants as constructive and objective. Having a consultant is like having a second set of eyes on your side of the desk.
The Writing Center can help with oral presentations, too. Often, consultants will record a presentation and review it together with the student to identify strengths and areas for improvement.
Weekly Scheduled Conferences
In addition to walk-in conferences, the Writing Center also offers weekly scheduled conferences. During these conferences, students work with assigned consultants for a specific course throughout the semester. The writing consultants become familiar with course goals, assignments, and the specific needs of the students with whom they work, allowing for sustained and focused consulting throughout the semester.
Students may choose to participate in weekly scheduled conferences, or professors may recommend students for these conferences.
Please contact the Writing Center at 260-982-5048 or email WritingConsultants@manchester.edu to arrange a conference time.