Education & Social Sciences

Social Work  


Careers, Licensure, and Graduate Education

Manchester University social work graduates enjoy high licensure exam pass rates and high placement rates in employment and graduate programs.

Social Work Licensure

As a CSWE-accredited baccalaureate program, the Manchester University Social Work Program prepares students for entry-level licensure as a professional social worker. In Indiana, this is the LBSW (Licensed Bachelor Social Worker) credential. For Indiana licensure laws, see the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency website.

Fields of Practice

Manchester University Social Work graduates are prepared to work in a wide array of social service fields, including:
  • Aging / Gerontology
  • Criminal Justice / Probation / Victim Advocacy
  • Housing and Homelessness
  • Addictions / Substance Abuse
  • Economic and Community Development
  • Mental Health
  • Domestic Violence
  • HIV/AIDS Services
  • Youth Services / Youth Development
  • Community Organizing
  • Health Care / Hospitals
  • Hospice / End-of-Life Care / Palliative Care
  • Disabilities / Rehabilitation
  • Immigration and Refugee Services
  • LGBTQ Services
  • Foster Care / Adoption 
  • Child Abuse and Neglect / Family Preservation
  • Residential Services
  • Schools / Early Childhood Services
  • Pregnancy Services / Family Planning Services
  • Legislative Advocacy
  • and more!

Occupational Outlook

You might also want to take a look at the Occupational Outlook for Social Workers from the U.S. Department of Labor. According to that site, employment of social workers is expected to increase faster than the average for all occupations through 2026.

Social Workers

$0 *

Median Pay


Job Outlook

* Median pay reflects the average income for all U.S. professionals working in this field. Entry-level salaries are typically lower.

Graduate Education

MU social work alumni are also well-prepared for graduate study.  Many of our alumni go on to a Master of Social Work program, usually gaining advanced standing in those programs. A master of social work degree is required for clinical social work practice, some administrative positions, and college-level teaching. A PhD is increasingly required for college-level teaching. Other graduate program possibilities for our alumni include law school or programs in sociology, psychology, counseling, education, political science, economics, non-profit or public administration, or other service-oriented professions and the social sciences. Search CSWE's Directory of Accredited Programs for master's programs in social work.
Accredited by the Council on Social Work Education 

facebook icon  1024px-Instagram_icon