Student Life

University Safety - FAQs

We welcome your questions. If you do not find an answer to your question here, please call x5000 (260-982-5000) and someone will assist you. Office hours are from 8 a.m. till 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

How safe is Manchester University?

Manchester University is a very safe place to live, work, and study, as is the surrounding community of North Manchester. The safety of members of the Manchester University community is a primary concern of the University, and a principal responsibility of the Office of University Safety. A fully trained officer is on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week, supplemented by student security cadets.

I lost my room key and I am locked out of my room. What should I do?

You should contact your Hall Director or Resident Assistant. If you are locked out and feel your safety is at risk, use the emergency phone located at the front entrance to each hall to contact a Safety Officer. You will be required to show your student ID to gain access to your building. You will also need to report the lost key to your Hall Director, and pay a key replacement fee.

I need to get my property out of the storage room at my hall. Who should I call?

You should contact your Hall Director. The Safety staff is not permitted to give students access to these areas.

What should I do if I have lost a piece of property?

If you have lost a piece of property, please contact the Safety Office and report it. Please give us as much information as possible. Our office maintains the Campus Lost and Found.

I got a ticket. What should I do?

For parking and ticket information, please click here.

I lost my Manchester University ID. How do I get a replacement ID card?

Fill out the appropriate online form:

How do I sign up for MU Alerts?

If there is a weather-related cancellation or delay – or something else you really need to know right now – will you get a text? All you need to do is sit down at a University computer and go here. It just takes a couple of minutes.

Why aren’t all students automatically enrolled in MU Alerts?

They are. It used to be to be an “opt-in” system but starting in the 2022-23 academic year all Manchester students are automatically enrolled. We include the sign-up information above in case someone is inadvertantly left out.

Why don’t we have emergency phones on campus?

University Safety researched what are known as “blue light phones” and learned that many colleges and universities are moving away from them. Manchester had them for a few years, and records show they were used only twice – and neither use was for an emergency. One new light would cost about $5,000 to purchase and install. With everyone carrying a cell phone that can be programmed to called University Safety at 982-5999 and/or 911, the expense for multiple emergency phones could not be justified. Lighting improvements Manchester has made in recent years are a better investment for student safety.

What does University Safety do to create relationships with students?

Officers attend and take part in Manchester Activities Council (MAC) and athletic events. An initiative is underway in for de-escalation training. University Safety helps during Welcome Week and can arrange to meet with organizations and residence hall groups.