Choir and Vocal Opportunities
Do you like to sing? The Department of Music at Manchester University enriches the cultural climate on campus and in surrounding communities by providing numerous opportunities for students to participate in choirs and ensembles, and by fostering within students a lifelong desire to perform and listen to music.
All music programs at Manchester provide excellent training and background for graduate study and a variety of career options, including music education, performance, arts management, church music, studio teaching, conducting, and music library science. Whether you want to major, minor or just participate in choral or vocal music, there is room for you and your musical talent at Manchester University.
- A Cappella Choir – A Cappella Choir is an auditioned ensemble that maintains 40-50 members and is open to all Manchester students, regardless of their major field of study. In fact, most of the singers in A Cappella Choir are not music majors. Standard choral repertoire is performed during tours and on campus concert programs. The choir tours each year after commencement ceremonies in the spring. Tours have included performances at Carnegie Hall in New York and the Vatican in Rome, in addition to other prestigious venues. The ensemble rehearses Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3-3:50 p.m. in Wine Recital Hall.Visit the Manchester University A Cappella Choir Facebook group.
- Cantabile - Cantabile is an auditioned women's chorus that performs music of all eras composed especially for treble voices. This is a relatively new ensemble on campus, and one that many students enjoy. Like Chamber Singers, this ensemble performs throughout the academic year at area high schools, residential communities and various civic functions. The ensemble also hosts an annual women's choir festival for area high school groups in March each year. Cantabile rehearses Monday and Wednesday from 5-5:50 p.m. in Wine Recital Hall. All rehearsals are open for observation.
- Chamber Singers – Chamber Singers is an ensemble that specializes in music of all styles, composed especially for small groups. This ensemble is auditioned from within A Cappella Choir. They perform throughout the academic year at area high schools, residential communities and various civic functions. Rehearsals are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-5:50 p.m. in Wine Recital Hall.
- Manchester Symphony Chorus – The talents of MU students are combined with faculty, staff and other singers from surrounding communities. Standard choral repertoire is explored in this un-auditioned ensmble, including works performed with the Manchester Symphony Orchestra.
- Opera Workshop – Opera Workshop also invites student participation. It is offered during January session or the spring semester each year. Operas are performed in English. Our most recent performances have included Gianni Schicchi and Soir Angelica by Puccini, Trial by Jury by Gilbert & Sullivan, and Hansel and Gretl by Humperdinck. Staged Musicals are produced in the spring semester every other year. Recent productions have included Nunsense, 1776, Little Shop of Horrors,Urinetown, Kiss Me Kate, Snoopy and The Sound of Music.
- Private Study – Voice study is offered through the Department of Music regardless of the student's major field of study. Excellent instruction for all voice types is available in the form of applied (private) lessons or voice classes, which are taught by our distinguished Manchester University voice faculty.
For more information, contact Debra Lynn
at 260-982-5296, or call the Manchester University Office of Admissions at 800-852-3648.