The goals and objectives of the Teacher Education Program are arranged in four broad categories, and ensure that teacher candidates have met state and national standards for licensure.
They are: Curriculum, Assessment, Relationships, and Environment.
Constructs and delivers appropriate curriculum for students.
- Relates content knowledge to other subject areas.
- Teaches subject matter accurately.
- Teaches content from multiple viewpoints.
- Teaches students to use critical thinking and problem solving strategies.
- Models appropriate oral communication skills.
- Models appropriate written communication skills.
- Teaches from a personal, philosophical base.
- Uses interdisciplinary instruction as appropriate.
- Uses effective questioning strategies.
Assesses students learning and development with a variety of measures.
- Develops appropriate tools to assess learning.
- Assesses learning through appropriate standardized and teacher-constructed tests.
- Assesses learning through appropriate alternative measures.
- Keeps records to determine and report student progress.
Establishes professional and reciprocal relationships with others invested in students' learning.
- Collaborates with students, colleagues, parents, and community agencies, exhibiting
sensitivity for cultural diversity.
- Acts with full awareness of ethical and legal responsibilities of teachers.
- Values life-long learning and personal/professional development.
- Engages in research and reflection on teaching practice.
- Exhibits a service orientation to students and teaching, valuing all aspects of students'
Creates positive and caring environments for student development and learning.
- Plans informative lessons and units, alone and in teams.
- Plans learning opportunities that respond to individual differences.
- Uses a variety of teaching methods and materials.
- Uses a variety of appropriate media and technology.
- Motivates students to want to learn individually, collaboratively, and cooperatively.
- Manages student behavior in positive, safe ways.