Visiting Manchester University

Important Dates

  • Welcome Week - Aug. 25-28
  • Fall 2018 classes begin Aug. 29


Placement Exams

It is very important that you review the Placement Exam Information. All students are required to take a mathematics exam. All placement exams are administered online, and students are required to complete the exams prior to Summer Orientation.

Students arriving on campus: frequently asked questions

  • Can Students arrive early?
    • NO. Students must wait until their scheduled arrival date. Those with special needs (from out of state, for example) should contact Residential Life at 260-982-5052.
  • Can students who arrive before classes start eat in the Jo Young Switzer Center? 
    • Yes. Those on campus for specific reasons will be on lists from coaches or other MU staff indicating their approval. They will be able to eat with a valid student ID card. 
  • Where do new students go when first arriving on campus for Welcome Week? 
    • Residence Halls for on-campus students. Commuter Orientation for those living off-campus: Saturday before the first day of classes.
  • Are guest rooms available for parents?  Who do they contact? 
    • Yes, rooms are available in Oakwood and Helman. They should contact Conference Services at 260-982-5551.
  • Can new students change roommates? 
    • Yes, after two weeks. Encourage students to talk with their RA’s or HD first.
  • Can students change meal plans? 
    • Yes, Residential Life can change the meal plan in the first two weeks of the semester.
  • Where should returning students go when they first return to campus? 
    • To their residence halls.
  • What is the deadline to register for classes? 
    • Tuesday, August 27 at 5 p.m.
  • Where do students get parking stickers for their cars? 
    • Auto registration forms are available on ChetNet.
  • Where do students get their MU Photo IDs? 
    • IDs for new students who had a picture taken at Summer Orientation will be placed in their Welcome Week packets. Students who need a picture taken should go to  University Safety – they will take the photo and print the ID. Replacement IDs are $25.
  • Who do students call with questions about hooking up computers in their residence hall rooms? 
    • Questions about computers or phones should be directed to the ITS Help Desk at 260-982-5454.
  • Where do students pick up packages? 
    • Students who receive packages will get an email notification and can pick them up at the mail desk with their valid student ID in the Campus Store.
  • Where do students go to get verification of enrollment (for insurance purposes, etc.)? 
    • Enrollment verification is handled by the One Stop Student Service Center in the lower level of the Administration Building.

  • Where do students find information on campus jobs? 
    • They should start with Spartan Jobs on the MU website. They can also go to the Office of Human Resources.
  • Where do students go with questions about their financial aid or cost?

    • Students can log in to Spartan Self Service on ChetNet. They can also visit the One Stop Student Service Center in the lower level of the Administration Building.